Skip to main content

HOW TO: Make Your Own Salt Dough Christmas Ornament.





Today I woke up in a festive mood and thought of how wonderful it would be to make some Christmas ornaments with my daughter. I remember I had a recipe sitting in my old files for Salt Dough, so I dug it up and we got to work.

This is the recipe we used:

  • 1/2 Cup of Salt
  • 1/2 Cup of Plain Flour
  • 1/4 Cup of Water
  • Mixing Bowl
  • Cookie Baking Tray
  • Cutting Board or Kitchen Worktop
  • Knife
  • Toothpick
  • Paints & Brushes (optional)
  • Sealer if you want a more finished look. (Optional)
1. Preheat the oven at 200°F.

2. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl and knead until dough forms.

3. Separate into 2 or 3 dough balls, flatten the out some so you have something resembling a pancake.

4. If you would like to make the Santa Ornament from the first picture I posted, you just need your child to make a hand impression on the dough. You could also do what i did if your child doesn't want to lend a helping hand, You could make some out of those lovely alphabet magnets (I couldn't find the letter S, so i used a tip of a painting brush), you could also use puzzle shapes, You could use their feet and make a tree or a reindeer. You could also use cookie cutters.

5. You can cut around the shape you made or you can leave it as it is.

6. With a toothpick Poke a hole near the top for hanging the ornament later on.

7. Place in the Oven and cook for 3 hrs.

8. Allow to cool and (Optional) Paint away and seal if you wish to.

Here are pictures i took during my ornament making. I know they are not amazing but I didn't dedicate much time to the decorating. hehe

 
These are our little guys just before they went in to the oven.
After they came out, this is what they looked like.

Please let me know if you tried this and how it went.  I plan to to make something else again tomorrow, so please check back for more stuff. :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paleo Recipe: Spicy Cilantro, Lime & Paprika Chicken Thighs

This chicken recipe is not only delicious, but Whole30 & Paleo friendly. It's also a quick but flavorful meal to prepare during the week. You can either grill these or bake them in the oven. I have tried both and they came out great either way. You will need: 1 pack of Chicken Thighs Bone in & skin on (usually 4) 1 tbsp Paprika 2 tsp Garlic Powder 1 tsp of dried Parsley 1 tsp of Salt 1 tbsp of Cilantro (I used pureed) Juice & zest from a Lime 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper 1/2 tsp of ground Pepper 1 tbsp of olive oil Preheat oven at 400F if you are going to be baking it straight away (if you are going to let it sit, hold off on that).  Mix all the ingredients together (not the chicken).  Once you have your marinade, add your chicken thighs and coat them well.  I usually get some under the skin because if you don't the chicken can be rather bland.  Depending if you are letting it sit some or not, go ahead and bake for 35-40 mins.  Once...

Recipe: Creamy Coconut Popsicles!

Sweet, Creamy & Delicious.... Creamy Coconut Popsicles. This recipe makes about 12-15 Popsicles depending on your molds. You'll need: 1 can of coconut milk (I used Thai kitchen organic) 1 can of reg sized condensed milk ½ cup Almond or Coconut milk ¼ cup heavy cream 1 teaspoon vanilla extract ¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut 1. Blend ingredients together. 2. Pour into Popsicle molds and freeze for about 5 hrs. 3. Enjoy!

Recipe: Super Tasty White Choc Chip Cookies

HI! Sorry I have not posted much in a while, My camera broke and I finally bought one (it's going back, I am not happy with it) but I managed to take some test pictures of some cookies I made so I figured I'd post this. If you love soft chunky cookies that are moist, this is the recipe for you. :-) I make these every week, with different variations. If you like this I can post more in the future, so please let me know. Ingredients     1 cup Butter (Room temp or cut in pieces and Microwave for 20-30 secs)     1/2 cup Brown Sugar     1/2 cup Sugar     3.4 oz pkg instant Chocolate pudding mix     2 eggs (at room temp)     1 tbsp Cocoa Powder     1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence or Extract     2 1/4 cup Flour     1 tsp Baking soda     1/2 tsp Baking powder     2 Cups of White Choc Chips (I use Ghirardelli) Instructions  ...