Today I woke up in a festive mood and thought of how wonderful it would be to make some Christmas ornaments with my daughter. I remember I had a recipe sitting in my old files for Salt Dough, so I dug it up and we got to work.
This is the recipe we used:
- 1/2 Cup of Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Plain Flour
- 1/4 Cup of Water
- Mixing Bowl
- Cookie Baking Tray
- Cutting Board or Kitchen Worktop
- Paints & Brushes (optional)
- Sealer if you want a more finished look. (Optional)
2. Mix all the ingredients in the bowl and knead until dough forms.
3. Separate into 2 or 3 dough balls, flatten the out some so you have something resembling a pancake.
4. If you would like to make the Santa Ornament from the first picture I posted, you just need your child to make a hand impression on the dough. You could also do what i did if your child doesn't want to lend a helping hand, You could make some out of those lovely alphabet magnets (I couldn't find the letter S, so i used a tip of a painting brush), you could also use puzzle shapes, You could use their feet and make a tree or a reindeer. You could also use cookie cutters.
5. You can cut around the shape you made or you can leave it as it is.
6. With a toothpick Poke a hole near the top for hanging the ornament later on.
7. Place in the Oven and cook for 3 hrs.
8. Allow to cool and (Optional) Paint away and seal if you wish to.
Here are pictures i took during my ornament making. I know they are not amazing but I didn't dedicate much time to the decorating. hehe
These are our little guys just before they went in to the oven.
After they came out, this is what they looked like.
Please let me know if you tried this and how it went. I plan to to make something else again tomorrow, so please check back for more stuff. :)